Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Good Day Sunshine



Never before have I been so in love with the sun. I mean, I grew up in San Diego for Christ's sake but I never knew true love until now.
Oh, Portland.
You've teased me with your blue skies and warm temperatures before, but I can't resist taking advantage of you again... you beautiful thing, you.
Dillon and I spent a gorgeous afternoon on our bikes, riding through our neighborhood and further north where I hadn't been. It was super fun.See, SUPER fun.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On another note, last night we watched an amazing documentary called 'The Business of Being Born'. It was a phenomenal look at how women give birth in this country, the disappearance of Midwives and the reason behind an alarming rise in the rate of C-sections.
I've thought a lot about having kids and just assumed I'd be one of those women who'd be screaming for more drugs, swearing at my husband and spitting on the doctor. I even rejected the idea of breast feeding (it creeps me out), much to the dismay of my BF, April, who spent years as a labor & delivery nurse. After seeing this film, I know now that I will NOT be one of those women. Giving birth has become something as simple as a pedicure, just another appointment penciled in for so many women. I guess I feel like I owe it to myself to have the whole experience, to really live in that moment and be present the whole time. Obviously my thoughts are premature since I'm saving myself for marriage, but I like to plan ahead.
Seriously, though, see this film.

1 comment:

V said...

you seem to be having quite an emotional affair with portland. feel the ol' girl up for me, you watery tart. i'll be out for a visit soon. love you.