Thursday, October 11, 2007

Jiggity Jig









Home again, Home again.
We had a wonderful time in Colorado with Dillon's family, who spent the entire weekend trying to convince us to move to Boulder. It's not a tough sell. Boulder is gorgeous and we love the idea of living in a college town, but I'm looking forward to a break from the snow and frigid temperatures. We headed out west on I-70 through the Rockies (beautiful!) and into Eastern Utah, stopping for the night in Green River. Tuesday morning we faced the longest leg of our journey, planning to arrive in Reno that night.
Let me say this: The settlers who traveled across this country to find new life in the West, were tough as shit. I got scared driving these long stretches of road, sometimes over 100 miles where there were no services offered, no gas, no lodging. Vast expanses of nothing except beautiful landscape. We headed into Nevada by way of Highway 50, also dubbed 'The lonliest road in America', and I'm so glad we decided to take the scenic route. Nevada is beautiful. Mountainous. Clean. Untouched. Stunning. I've called this place home for many years and never realized it's true beauty until now. I can only wonder how frightened and thrilled the settlers must have been as they crossed into lands they could never have imagined existed.
I'm so lucky to have the means and way to experience this for myself.
I think the Village People said it best: GO WEST!

No comments: