Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Chewed up and spit out


Free at last!
Free at last!
Thank God almight, I am free at last!
I cut my finger over a month ago at work and the wound has since healed, except for a small spot at the tip that was still very painful. I've been picking at the spot for weeks, determined to excavate this 'piece of glass' I insisted was living in my middle finger. This pain has inhibited my ability to catch a frisbee, use the turn signal while driving and flip the bird to unruly motorists.
It's been days since I picked at my wound, and was begining to think I was crazy, that perhaps a severed nerve was the reason for this discomfort or that maybe my threshold for pain just isn't what it used to be.
While on the Kansas Turnpike this evening, I thought I'd give it another go.
After about fifteen minutes of picking, squeezing and, according to Dillon, funny faces, my body decided to release its hostage. I had finally negotiated this month-old chunk of glass from my hand. And it felt AMAZING! I will not let this moment pass, though, without recognizing one of life's great metaphors:
A chunk of glass cut me, got under my skin. I thought I could live with it in there, but try as I may, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I finally sat down and picked at that glass until I forced it up from my skin and out of my life. And in Kansas of all places. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

1 comment:

teresa conway said...

first of all let me start with goodbye as i left without saying anything to you. sorry about that.
hope that its all going well and that you're not missing me too much. sorry for laughing at the letter you left on the computer about the cut on your finger.i decided to take it more seriously & put it in the incident book (could you send me the glass as evidence).
as you didnt get paid for your last shift would you like me to send on your money. no problem, just let me know.
trying to view your photos but my computer is acting up at the mo.

please keep in touch (missing you loads!!!!!!!)